Sunday, December 24, 2017

Trump, the Media and Government

Seem compelled to start all these posts with a disclaimer - I did not vote for Trump but there have been some things going on that I felt a need to comment on. I no longer "root" for any one political party. I support things I believe are good for the country. Period.

While I wouldn't necessarily support the argument that "Trump has made us more moral" there was a section of this article that I wholeheartedly agree with:
Government does not exist to make us equal, but to treat us equally. It does not exist to make life fair, but to treat us fairly. Most importantly, it exists to secure our rights to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Only in liberty can we treat each other ethically, because only in liberty can we make the choices that are the necessary condition for ethical life.  
I think I would have a problem with anyone who does not agree with that first sentence.

I also think that the crux of this article is correct - that the media have basically neutered their own importance through partisanship. All major news outlets are almost at the point of outright pandering to party confirmation bias at this point. Where anything that disagrees with your particular political beliefs is now "fake news".

It is my belief that the tax cuts were a good thing. I also agree that the merits of any particular point of the new tax bill can be rationally debated. However, if the Democrats or the media demonize the package as "Armageddon" then all (to borrow a phrase) is just tales told by partisan idiots, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. When people get to keep more of their money this April 15th I hope they remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment