Sunday, September 10, 2017

NFL Sunday - Week One


JJ Watt has now raised over $31 million for disaster and flood relief for the City of Houston and other surrounding affected areas. $31 million! How can you not be rooting for him and the Houston Texans as they take on the Jaguars today? I'm not going to bet on the Texans because I don't want worrying about covering the 5 points soil my rooting experience.

Speaking of the $31 million Watt has raised (and he's not done yet) for Hurricane Harvey relief - compare that to the roughly $50 million raised during the celebrity telethon for Hurricane Katrina in 2005. Some of the biggest Hollywood names and musical stars were able to raise a combined $50 million while JJ Watt by himself has raised $31 million and counting. Incredible!

I would be remiss if I didn't mention Kayne West's comment during that celebrity telethon that "George Bush doesn't care about black people" and the media's letting that slide without any sort of condemnation is one of the reasons we have Trump as President today. If in the media's mind everyone's a racist then eventually in the public's mind nobody is.

Today I like Atlanta giving 6.5 vs the Bears. Yes I know the game is in Chicago and on grass but Mike Glennon is starting at QB for the Bears.

I also like Pittsburgh giving 9 vs the Browns. Yes that's a lot of points but the Steelers are motivated by a lot of things (the rivalry, the Browns starting a rookie QB and Joe Hayden getting cut by the Browns and signing with Pittsburgh). Another factor is New England's loss is also a wake-up call to Pittsburgh not to be complacent. That's a message I'm sure Steelers coach Mike Tomlin has made loud and clear. The only thing that bothers me is everyone seems to be picking the Steelers today.

Speaking of the Pats - yes the loss was a tremendous let-down and yes the team looked flat and unprepared. And yes I wasn't a fan of Mark Wahlberg pre-game presentation. But even more disgusting is the sports talk radio that the loss was sure to generate. Like puss to an uncleaned wound.

The Pats will be fine and I'll be sure to avoid the puss that calls itself Boston sports talk radio.

No comments:

Post a Comment