Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Lawyers, Guns and Money

I'm getting older and my perspective is changing. I'm not at the "get off my lawn" stage but in many smaller things I've begun noticing a difference. What got me thinking about this was recently listening to the song, Lawyers, Guns and Money by Warren Zevon. I found myself listening to the song in a whole new way.

Now you have to understand that Warren Zevon holds a special place in my heart. He was the first concert I ever went to see (front row at WPI as a sophomore in high school) and Excitable Boy was the first album I ever shelled out my own money to buy (also sophomore year in HS - used from Al Bum's Records).

Anyway, recently I heard the lyrics:
I was gambling in Havana
I too a little risk
Send lawyers, guns and money
Dad, get me out of this
Suddenly now I'm thinking, "When is this guy going to grow up and handle his own damn problems? Why does his dad need to always bail him out?" Seriously - I was having those thoughts. Now I hear the song and I'm judgmental. I think "This guy either needs to stop habitually getting into these jams or come back to the US and become a responsible citizen."

There was no event with me or my kids to make me start thinking this way. And I know the song is made up - there's no actual lawyers or gunmen being put at risk. Maybe, just maybe I'm the one who has finally grown up.

No comments:

Post a Comment