Sunday, December 08, 2013

Flotsam and Jetsam

Miscellaneous thoughts and observations.

Jacoby Ellsbury got a 7-year deal from the Yankees. I am really curious if there was any legitimate 6-year deals out there that the Yankees felt they had to top... 1936 Jesse Owens gold medal sells for $1.46 million dollars... Crazy trade idea - Ryan Dempster and a prospect from Red Sox to Yankees for Brett Gardner. The Yankees need a starter badly and Gardner is now on the trading block... Fantastic Geoff Baker piece on the dysfunctional Mariners. I'm guessing all the GM's at the Winter Meetings will be trying to dump their bad contracts on Jack Zduriencik as "win now" solutions before the jerkface gets fired... Two days after Pearl Hrbor Bob Feller volunteer for active duty with the Navy. He was the first pro athlete to do so (but not the last). I wonder what pro athlete would do so today? Didn't seem many volunteers after Pat Tillman... Heh heh - science is funny... More unintended consequences - Obamacare may put the end to volunteer fire departments. Unbelievable... Cool - how a car engine actually works... I wonder if historians 80-years from now will look at Obamacare they way we look at Prohibition today. As in "what were they thinking?"...

5 comments:

  1. Roy Halladay belongs in the Hall of Fame.
    3...2...1...
    Discuss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Belongs.

    Halladay was like Pedro. When he pitched it was special. You thought you were watching a Hall of Famer. Should be first ballot in my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree he was special - but aside from dominating for Canadian teams, don't think he was in Pedro's category.
    Interestingly - on Baseball-Reference, Halladay is most similar to Martinez, but Martinez doesn't make the top 10 on most similar to Halladay.
    I think he belongs, but wondered what someone who was a bit more objective thought about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I may have mentioned this here before, but I got a chance to meet Bob Feller back in 2001, get his autograph (unfortunately faded due to it being done with a Sharpie), but more importantly I had a chance to thank him for his service.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I may have mentioned this here before, but I got a chance to meet Bob Feller back in 2001, get his autograph (unfortunately faded due to it being done with a Sharpie), but more importantly I had a chance to thank him for his service.

    ReplyDelete