Sunday, June 03, 2012

The Bowling and Beer Fitness Regime

OK - how's this for a way to improve your physical fitness - go bowling and drink beer! Sounds good - right?

Here's what I'd like to do. During the summer go bowling three times a week. Each time bowling I'd bowl three games. Now bowling in and of itself is exercise but the extra wrinkle I'd add is after each frame I'd do a push-up for each pin left standing. This would both help me work on my strength and give me incentive to improve my game. Although I'd have to weather the strange looks I'd get from other bowlers but I don't mind that so much. The push-ups would be the stick. The carrot would be that for each strike I'd bowl - I'd reward myself with a cold beer after bowling was done. This last wrinkle may be too much as the better I get the more damage I'd do to my liver - so the physical benefits of the experiment may actually be negative. Maybe the answer would be to average the number of strikes and spares from the three games and that would be the end of night beer reward.

You could do as many push-ups before the summer experiment started and then at the end of summer see how many more you could do. I'm guessing the number of push-ups you could do in a single "sitting" would double.