Saturday, January 21, 2012

King of New York

Last night I watched King of New York. It has to be about 15 years since I had seen the 1990 flick and I remembered it as a pretty cool Christopher Walken vehicle. I was correct in remembering that it was a Christopher Walken movie but I had no memory of the movie being so bad. I mean really bad. I mean mesmorizingly bad. It is billed as a stylized retelling of Robin Hood but it is just a tossed together shoot-em up. Even though it was made in 1990 - it has an 80's feel to it. The clothes, half the actors wearing sunglasses at night, the language, the whole movie had a 80's feel. Besides the 80's feel - the two things that stood out to me was the fact that Laurence Fishburne had magic pistols that could shoot hundreds of rounds without a new clip and also how badly people died in the movie. I don't mean that their deaths were gruesome - I mean the acting was just so very over the top. Master thespian sarcastic over the top. After watching the movie I found out via IMDB that the film was financed by Silvio Berlusconi - the future Italian Prime Minister. That was just the icing on the cake. If you remember King of New York as a decent flick - watch it again to have a good laugh at both how bad the movie really is and also how silly your younger self must have been to have liked it the first time around.